IPL season has started. IPL season is all about witnessing great skills and the speculation of the fans.
Fans wait for a year almost to see the victory of their favourite players & the IPL is heaven for the batters. One of the main attractions of the IPL is the sixers of the batters. As a cricket fanatic, this outstanding performance of the batters is also pleasing to me.
I am here with a list of batters who scored most of the sixes in the IPL.
1. Chris Gayle – 44 Sixes (IPL 2011): 2011 has been one of the most remarkable years for Chris Gayle in his career & for this team Royal Challenger Bangalore as well. In this year Chris scored 44 sixes in 12 innings and he made 2 centuries as well.
In 2011, Chris won the orange cap in the IPL. RCB was in the finals of the IPL, however, they faced defeat to Chennai Super Kings.
Although this list is solely for most of the sixes scored by the batters, as the topic of batters & IPL has arrived, how can I forget the performance of Virat in the year 2011 for RCB? Virat scored 557 runs in the IPL. The average of Virat was 46.41 in 16 games. Homemade four half-centuries as well.
2. Jos Butler – 45 Sixes (IPL 2022): Jos Buttler is in second position on my list of the most sixes made by batters. England captain Jos managed to bag the orange cap in 2022.
Jos scored 863 runs in 16 innings in the IPL in 2022. This run is a total of four half-centuries & 4 centuries.
Jos had an average of 57.53 and Jos’ strike rate was 149.05. His highest score in a single match was 116 in the year 2022. He made 45 sixes in the IPL and leads my list as well. Isn’t it great? I must say he is a legend in the making.
3. Chris Gayle – 51 sixes (IPL 2013): I know I mentioned Chris storm is the first position on my list but what else can I do? He made records whenever he was on the pitch irrespective of years, this is a common factor.
So, here is again Chris Gayle is in the 3rd position on my list of the most sixers made by batters in the IPL. Back in 2013, Chris set the record of making 51 sixes in one season.
The best knock of the IPL 175* was made by Chris in this season of the IPL.
He also scored 708 runs which have one century as well.
4. Andre Russell – 52 Sixes (IPL 2019): In fourth position on my list of most sixes made by batters in the IPL season is Andre Russell. Andre is a West Indies player who is also famous by the name of “Russell Muscle”.
After Chris, Andre is the most aggressive and dangerous batter in terms of making sixes. He scored 52 sixes in 2019.
He can be called an asset of the team KKR because many times he single-handedly brought the winning badge to the team.
5. Chris Gayle – 59 Sixes (IPL 2012): My list of most sixes made by the batters in the IPL is literally half filled by the name, Chris Gayle. He is again in the 5th position on my list.
He scored 59 sixes in the season 2012 of the IPL.
He won the orange cap in 2012 too. According to me, he can be named as the sixer machine. Do you know why? Let me show you the record. Chris scored 59 sixes in 2012, and this record remains intact. He also scored 44 sixes in 2011, 51 sixes in 2013, and 38 sixes in 2015.
6. Virat Kohli – 38 sixes (IPL 2016): Virat Kohli performed extraordinarily in the 2016 IPL. he scored 38 sixes in 16 matches. Virat scored 973 runs in the season of 2016. His average was 81.08.
Apart from the runs or sixes, but Virat also made seven half centuries and four centuries as well.
However, the above data are based on scoring the highest number of sixes in a single match. However, it is also important to count the factors which are the highest sixers in a whole season made by a batter. Here is a list of those too-
1. MS Dhoni: Undoubtedly MS Dhoni is one of the best captains & cricketers in India. It is safe to say that he is one of the best captains in the world.
Dhoni has scored 229 maximums in 206 innings till now. He has scored 346 fours in the IPL. Dhoni’s average is just below 40 with a strike rate of 135.19.
2. AB de Villiers: It is important to mention in this blog that Chris has scored 357 sixes in the whole IPL and there is a name that can give Chris a tough fight to Chris. The name is AB de Villiers. He has scored 251 sixes so far in the IPL.
The star cricketer has scored 413 four in just 173 innings and his strike rate was 151.68 per 100 balls.
AB de Villiers has played for Delhi and Bangalore teams. He has scored a total of 5162 runs at an average of 39.70 with 3 tons and 40 fifties in the league
The details are quite updated. Let’s get into more depth or I would say let’s drive some data from the past.
Sanath Jayasuriya 2008: IPL started in the year 2008 & in this inauguration year Sanat Jayasuriya made some stunning scores. He scored 31 sixes that year and his total score was 514 that season. He was playing for Mumbai Indians.
Rajasthan Royals won the title that year & that is the only trophy they have.
It is important to mention that in 2008 the total number of sixes was 620 in 59 matches.
Although Chris is in the top position in order to score the highest number of sixes in a season, the rest of the players are also giving a tough fight for this title.